Figs, commonly known as carnation in India, are a great source of nutrients. These green-colored fruits, when cut open, have pink flesh and numerous seeds the size of a mustard seed.
In addition, figs have a sweet taste and are quite low in calories, making them an ideal snack for people who want to lose weight. This superfood can be eaten fresh or dried and is an excellent addition to your diet.
Nutritional Values of Figs
It is essential to understand the nutritional values of figs before incorporating them into your lifestyle. To give you an overview, you can refer to the following values.
According to the USDAone hundred grams of dried and uncooked fig consists of the following nutrients:
- Water: 30g
- Energy: 249 kcal
- Protein: 3.3g
- Fat: 0.93g
- Carbohydrates: 63.9g
- Fiber: 9.8g
- Vitamin C: 1.2mg
Figs are fat-free, cholesterol-free and rich in protein, fiber, minerals, vitamins and antioxidants.
This combination that reduces cravings and keeps you feeling full longer makes figs incredibly beneficial for weight loss. Figs are also a symbol of longevity as they can help prevent many diseases.
Is Anjeer (figs) good for weight loss?
Figs have been found to provide the following benefits when it comes to weight loss:
Satisfies sweet cravings
If you are on a weight loss diet and still crave something sweet, you can safely enjoy a fully ripe or well-dried fig.
It provides the necessary sweet taste you need to curb your dessert cravings. Scientific studies suggest that a low-fat, low-calorie diet is one of the most effective ways to lose weight.
Fiber content keeps you full longer
Since figs are packed with fiber, eating them can help you feel fuller longer and reduce the urge to snack between meals. It can be beneficial for maintaining a healthy weight.
Epidemiological Research has indicated that increased consumption of dietary fiber is associated with lower body weight. This is due to an increased feeling of satiety and reduced energy intake.
In addition, it can help provide energy throughout the day, reduce fatigue and keep carbohydrate and food intake to a minimum.
Rich in antioxidants
A studies found that fresh and dried figs are rich in phytochemicals. Phytochemicals, such as phenolic acids and flavonoids, are powerful antioxidants.
These phytonutrients can help a person maintain good health, including aiding in weight loss. In addition, fiber lowers cholesterol levels and improves bowel movements. All this leads to a healthier life.
Remains active despite being low in calories
Although figs are full of nutrients, they are low in calories. As the nutritional data suggests, figs contain very few calories, even fewer than other fruits. Therefore, you can enjoy this fruit of longevity guilt-free!
The HealthifyMe note
Figs, both fresh and dried, can help with weight loss. That’s because they’re high in fiber and low in calories, making them a great choice for people looking to shed a few pounds. Known as carnation in India, these fruits have been eaten since ancient times for their nutritional and medicinal properties. With HealthifyMe Pro 2.0, you can learn exactly how many figs to include in your diet for maximum weight loss.
Ways to Eat Anjeer (Figs) for Weight Loss
Raw consumption of fresh figs
If you’re looking for a sweet treat, try a fully ripened fig. It will be larger than an unripened one, with a tint of brown and purple. No need to peel the skin or worry about the seeds – just eat it whole and enjoy the taste!
Consumption of cooked figs
You can eat figs raw as ripened fruit or roast, bake, grill, caramelize or roast and enjoy the crunchiness.
- To do this, first clean the figs and pat them dry with kitchen paper.
- Later, cut them in half vertically, starting at their stem to their flowering end.
- Then add these sliced figs, some honey and a slice of lemon to a dish.
- Later, put them in an oven below 200 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes or roast them on medium heat for 20 minutes.
- One can eat these roasted figs warm or store them in the freezer.
- This process includes filling the figs. So you have to cut the fig on all four sides, so that the inside is visible and not cut all the way through.
- Later, in a separate pan, add some butter and lightly heat these figs.
- On the other hand, take another pan and put butter in it. Later add some cinnamon, honey and possibly fruit juice.
- Now add the butter, honey and juice solution to the figs and put them in an oven at 190 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes.
- Finally, when they have cooled, sprinkle them with some yogurt and enjoy.
- Get some fresh and semi-ripe figs.
- Then place the cleaned, dried figs in a grill pan and grill them underneath so that they get a golden color.
- Turn them on both sides until the fig becomes tender and soft.
- Finally, enjoy these fruits with any healthy sauce or plain.
- Take a non-stick skillet and heat some butter.
- Then add some honey and vanilla and stir for 2 minutes.
- Later, add the diced figs and cook them for a while until soft.
- Then add dry fruits such as hazelnuts or almonds and fry them.
- Serve this dish last with yogurt.
To take a bite of a tasty dried fig, one can use the following method:
- Drying under the sun:
- Start by cleaning your figs well and thoroughly under water, preferably cold.
- Then dry them with a cloth, tissue or paper towel, whichever is available.
- Later, cut it in half in a vertical shape, from the stem to the blossom end of the fruit.
- After that, put the slices you made on a clean tray. Then cover that baking tray with a thin, soft cotton cloth or parchment paper.
- Finally, let the tray filled with fig slices dry under the sun by placing it in your sunny spots. Then, after sunset, bring the tray inside.
- Repeat this process for at least 5-6 days. Either way, drying time will vary depending on the climatic conditions in your area.
- When the slices are sufficiently dried and crispy to the touch, you can store them in airtight containers.
- Later, you can store those containers in your refrigerator or at room temperature.
Your health should be your first priority. To maintain a healthy lifestyle, one has to make sacrifices, especially in the face of obesity, a global problem. Eating fewer calories and carbs is a great way to lose weight and stay in shape.
Figs have exceptional nutritional properties and provide many health benefits, so eating them is a great way to control weight and reduce fat around the abdominal area.
HealthifyMe offers the perfect opportunity for anyone looking to lose weight.
The expert nutritionists can tailor a plan for you based on your health condition and provide nutritional tips to make your journey to a healthier weight successful. The HealthifyMe app Provides access to various healthy recipes including amla juice.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q. How many figs should you eat daily to lose weight?
A. Carnation or figs are a great snack for weight loss. Eating a small handful (about 5-6 pieces) of figs daily can help curb fig cravings and keep you feeling full throughout the day. Eating figs daily can help control hunger, boost metabolism and promote weight loss.
Q. Do figs burn belly fat?
A. Figs are a healthy snack option that can help promote weight loss, including fat loss in the abdominal area. They contain a good amount of dietary fiber, which helps reduce appetite and keep you feeling fuller for longer. Plus, figs’ natural sweetness can help satisfy sugar cravings and reduce your overall calorie intake. This can ultimately lead to less belly fat. Figs are also high in antioxidants, which can help reduce inflammation and improve digestion, aiding in belly fat loss.
Q. What is the best time to eat figs?
A. The best time to eat figs for weight loss is in the morning, before breakfast. Eating figs in the morning can help regulate blood sugar levels, which can help prevent cravings throughout the day and reduce the risk of overeating. Plus, figs are rich in dietary fiber and can help you feel fuller for longer, which can help suppress cravings.
Q. What are the disadvantages of figs?
A. Fig promotes easy digestion and helps with constipation because it contains fewer laxatives. However, if they are consumed in excess on a daily basis, they may develop diarrhea or loose stools. Also, over-consumption of this fruit can lead to liver and intestinal problems in the long run.
Q. Does fig contain a lot of sugar?
A. Compared to fresh figs, dried figs contain slightly more sugar. Although people with diabetes can eat figs because it is easy to digest. However, it is best to eat dried or fresh figs by watching your sugar levels. Fortunately, with HealthifyMe pro 2.0, one can keep an eye on the sugar content of their food intake.
Q. Do figs have side effects?
A. Like any other food, figs also have some side effects, especially when consumed in larger quantities. Overconsumption of this fruit can lead to diarrhea, loose stools and blood thinning as they increase hemoglobin. Also, due to its chemical composition, fig can cause rhinitis, anaphylactic shock or conjunctivitis.
The research sources
1. AMERICAN DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE, Data Type: SR Legacy | Food Category: Fruits and Fruit Juices | FDC ID: 174665 | NDB number:9094 | FDC Publication: 4/1/2019
2. Arvaniti, Olga & Samaras, Yiannis & Gatidou, Georgia & Thomaidis, Nikolaos & Stasinakis, Athanasios. (2019). Review on fresh and dried figs: chemical analysis and occurrence of phytochemical compounds, antioxidant capacity and health effects. Food Research International. 119. 10.1016/j.foodres.2019.01.055.
3. Kim JJ. Optimal diet strategies for weight loss and weight loss maintenance. J Obes Metab Syndr. March 30, 2021;30(1):20-31. doi: 10.7570/jomes20065. PMID: 33107442; PMCID: PMC8017325.
4. Clark MJ, Slavin JL. The effect of fiber on satiety and food intake: a systematic review. J Am Coll Nutr. 2013;32(3):200-11. doi: 10.1080/07315724.2013.791194. PMID: 23885994.