Liver abscess is also known as pyogenic liver abscess. It is a pocket of pus that forms in the liver as a result of a bacterial infection. Pus is a fluid made up of white blood cells and dead cells that usually accumulate when your body is fighting an infection. In that case, the pus collects in a pocket in the liver instead of draining from the site of infection. A boil usually grows with swelling in the surrounding area. This can cause abdominal pain and bloating. If not treated immediately, a pyogenic liver abscess can lead to many serious illnesses. To see a doctor if you suffer from any other liver disease click here,
What Are the Causes of a Pyogenic Liver Abscess?
The most common reason for this is biliary disease. It causes conditions that affect the liver, pancreas, and gallbladder. Other causes and risk factors include:
- abscesses of bacteria
- colon cancer
- inflammatory bowel disease, such as diverticulitis or perforated bowel
- blood infection or blood poisoning
- Liver damage from an accident or injury
The cost of liver disease is determined based on the health of the patient, first the doctor examines the patient’s health, then it is decided which treatment is suitable for the patient.
Symptoms of pyogenic liver abscess
The symptoms of PLA are similar to those of gallbladder inflammation or massive infection. These can be:
- pain in right upper abdomen
- Sudden dramatic weight loss, like 10 pounds in just a few weeks
- dark urine
- white or gray, clay-colored stools
What is Liver?
Liver is the organ that helps in the digestion process. It performs essential functions including:
- building nutrients
- removal of waste products from the blood
- removing food, drugs and alcohol from the blood
- production of bile, which helps digest food in the intestines
- Because some of its primary functions are to cleanse and filter the blood, the liver is susceptible to infection.
Diagnosis of pyogenic liver abscess
Your doctor may order a combination of blood cultures and imaging tests to diagnose the condition. The following tests can be used:
- Abdominal ultrasound to detect abscess
- CT scan with intravenous contrast or injected dye to find and measure the abscess
- blood tests to look for signs of infectious inflammation, such as elevated serum white blood cells and neutrophils
- blood culture for bacterial growth to determine which antibiotic you need
- an MRI of the abdomen
Pyogenic liver abscess can appear as a mass containing gas and fluid in the liver when viewed after a CT scan.
How is an abscess treated in a pyogenic liver?
Some people can be successfully started treatment for PLA with antibiotics alone. However, most patients require drainage of the abscess. This involves inserting a needle into the abscess to drain the pus containing the infection. Your doctor may also perform a liver biopsy while taking a sample of your liver tissue. This helps your doctor determine the overall health of your liver. These invasive diagnostic and interventional procedures are performed with CT scan or ultrasound.
Doctors try to treat PLA without surgery if possible to reduce the risk of the bacteria spreading throughout the body. However, in more severe cases, surgery may be necessary to completely remove the contents of the abscess.
After surgery, you will be treated with antibiotics for several weeks to allow the infection to clear completely. According to a review article in Clinical Liver Disease, oral antibiotics followed by parenteral (intravenous) antibiotics are used to treat and control PLA. An initial course of intravenous antibiotics helps with the initial healing process.
Best hospital for liver disease treatment
like you kidney transplant You can have your treatment done in one of the following hospitals mentioned by us:
- Sarvodaya Hospital, Mumbai
- Sri Ramachandra Medical Centre, Chennai
- MGM Healthcare Pvt. Ltd, Chennai
- Fortis Hospital, Mumbai
- CK Birla Hospital, Kolkata
- Rainbow Hospital, Delhi
- Apollo Children’s Hospital, Chennai
- Sitecare Cancer Hospital, Bangalore
- Black Super Specialty Hospital, Delhi
- Healthcare Institute of Medical Sciences, Ahmedabad
- Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, Noida
- Medanta The Medicity, Gurugram
- Fortis Hospital, Ahmedabad
If you would like to be treated in one of these hospitals, please contact us. Whatsapp (+91 9654030724) or call us (+919599004811) on this number can do.
What are the possible complications of a liver abscess?
If the patient does not have the liver abscess treated at the right time, serious health problems may arise, even the patient’s life may be lost. You can help reduce your risk of serious complications by following a treatment plan created specifically for you by you and your doctor. Rupture of a liver abscess can cause these complications:
- acute respiratory distress
- Endocarditis, inflammation of the inner lining and valves of the heart
- kidney failure
- Liver failure
- Peritonitis is inflammation of the tissue that lines the abdomen
- accumulation of fluid around the lungs
- sepsis, a life-threatening blood infection
- spread of infection
like you Liver Treatment (Best Kidney Treatment in India) Do you want to get it done, or do you want to ask a question related to this disease? click herenext to you By downloading our app from the Play Store, you can immediately consult a doctor.you us Whatsapp (+91 9654030724, +919599004811) You can also contact us at Apart from this, you can also email us at [email protected] regarding our services. Our team will contact you as soon as possible.
disclaimer: GoMedii is a digital healthcare platform that integrates all healthcare needs and facilities. GoMedii provides its readers with health news, health tips and all health related information through blogs verified by health experts and doctors. All information and facts published in GoMedii Blog are thoroughly checked and verified by doctors and health experts, verifying the source of the information.