The patient’s blood is purified and oxygenated through large tubes placed in the great veins (closer to the heart) and returned via a pump. ECMO is used for those patients whose heart function is not good. ECMO therapy is used for many different conditions. full form of ecmo Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation.
ECMO keeps blood flowing throughout the body and balances blood gases (oxygen and carbon dioxide). ECMO does not cure lung or heart failure, but temporarily restores the work of the heart and lungs, allowing them to “rest”. This involves using a machine outside the body (extracorporeal). The machine pumps the blood around, oxygenating it and helping the body get rid of carbon dioxide. If you have a heart problem and want to see a doctor click here,
Who Needs ECMO?
ECMO can be used to help people who are very sick with heart and lung disease, or who are waiting for or recovering from a heart transplant. This may be an option when other life support measures have not worked. ECMO doesn’t treat or cure any disease, but it can help when your body is temporarily unable to supply enough oxygen to your tissues.
Some heart conditions where ECMO may be used include:
- heart attack
- heart muscle disease
- inflammation of the heart muscle
- life-threatening response to infection
- low body temperature
- complications after the transplant
- cardiogenic shock
Some lung (pulmonary) conditions where ECMO may be used include:
- acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS)
- occlusion of the pulmonary artery
- meconium aspiration
- flu (influenza)
- hantavirus lung syndrome
- high blood pressure in the lungs
- Respiratory failure
Before ECMO treatment, the doctor checks the patient’s health, only then will he make a decision. If you want to know exactly what an ECMO treatment costs, you should consult our doctor. to see a doctor click here,
What should ECMO patients be aware of?
ECMO patients are asked to exercise regularly. After they are removed from the machine, physical therapy is given to make them fully active.
Hospitals in Kolkata for ECMO Treatment
- Apollo Gleneagles, Calcutta
- Amri Hospital Salt Lake, Salt Lake, Kolkata
- CK Birla Hospital, Kolkata
- Rabindranath Tagore International Institute of Cardiac Science, Kolkata
How many types of ECMO are there?
- Venoarterial (VA) ECMO: In this type, blood is removed from a large vein and returned to a large artery, which allows oxygenated blood to circulate throughout your body even though the heart cannot pump blood. If he is weak, two tubes will be placed in the neck or waist.
- Venous ECMO: This type only supports the lungs, allowing the patient’s heart to function adequately to meet the body’s needs. Two tubes are placed in the veins near or in the heart. This allows blood to go to the same place in your body and back, requiring only one entry point instead of two. The ECMO system first returns blood from the heart to the body, and the patient’s heart pumps the blood around the body.
What Happens During ECMO?
When connected to ECMO, the patient’s heart rate, blood pressure, blood oxygen and carbon dioxide levels are closely monitored. The patient is initially sedated and therefore does not feel the cannulation. In addition, on ECMO, the patient is connected to a ventilator and an endotracheal tube. Once connected, the patient experiences almost no pain. However, other medications are given to make the patients comfortable.
In addition, blood thinners are also used to prevent blood clotting outside the body. As mentioned earlier, ECMO is not a cure. It only supports the heart and lungs. Depending on the severity, the patient may be on ECMO for several days to several weeks. In some cases, patients do not recover critically despite ECMO. But in most cases, ECMO helps save the lives of the patients.
How is ECMO removed from the patient’s body?
The patient is systematically weaned from ECMO. Doctors recommend gradually reducing ECMO oxygen support to observe the patient’s stability and health. If the patient responds positively, he is taken off ECMO.
like you ECMO Treatment (ECMO Treatment Cost in Kolkata) Do you want to get it done, or do you want to ask a question related to this disease? click herenext to you By downloading our app from the Play Store, you can immediately consult a doctor.you us Whatsapp (+91 9654030724, +919599004811) You can also contact us at Apart from this, you can also email us at [email protected] regarding our services. Our team will contact you as soon as possible.
disclaimer: GoMedii is a digital healthcare platform that integrates all healthcare needs and facilities. GoMedii provides its readers with health news, health tips and all health related information through blogs verified by health experts and doctors. All information and facts published in GoMedii Blog are thoroughly checked and verified by doctors and health experts, verifying the source of the information.